5 ways how Tresorit Drive helps you ensure compliance and boost team productivity
How to help team productivity with Tresorit Drive while managing security risks and ensure compliance? Zoltan Horvath, our Information Security Officer, shares some insights with business admins.
Having files locally on the computer and syncing them with the cloud works perfectly most of the times. However, there are several scenarios where the process of syncing can make your team less productive. It can also conflict with compliance and security requirements.
This is where Tresorit Drive offers a solution. Tresorit Drive allows accessing files in the cloud from desktop file managers without downloading them and syncing them. It keeps team files end-to-end encrypted on the servers while colleagues can access them easily in their file manager any time they need to. This feature brings the best of two worlds together: the flexibility of the cloud and the convenience of local storage.
- Make remote work really work for the team. With home office, global teamwork, and off-site projects, collaboration increasingly happens beyond the office space. Secure off-site work is one of the main features why our customers choose Tresorit. Due to security policies, downloading confidential files to private devices might be impossible though, especially at larger companies. With Tresorit, admins can simply disable syncing to local drives, and make sure everything happens in the cloud. Similarly to Dropbox’s Smart Sync feature, but in a completely secure way, users can simply access every file they need from their favorite file managers. Tresorit’s data management and editing features further help your team stay productive on the go without using local storage.
- Better control your sensitive company data. To comply with security standards like the ISO27001/270012, or regulations like the coming GDPR, businesses need to make sure they have strict device security policies in place (including hard-drive encryption, anti-virus, network management and so on). With devices scattered among work sites, files synced locally can present a huge security risk. As a preventive control method, keeping files only in the cloud helps you manage this. In case a work device is lost or stolen, admins can simply unlink that. This makes all confidential data stored with Tresorit Drive disappear from that device. The possibility of data leaks is minimal even if other security mechanisms like hard-drive encryption are broken.
- Save space on your devices. Collaborating on documents, especially on large files, requires space. Keeping all the files in the cloud enable to use the maximum storage needed while saving space on the computers. With Tresorit Drive, your colleagues can access all files securely in their file manager, regardless of how much space they have available on their hard drive or SSD.
- Make employee offboarding and working with contractors easier, compliant and risk-free. Data governance is crucial for companies managing confidential data. Personally, I always found the ISO recommendations very helpful when planning and outlining secure offboarding processes. The ISO27002 standard provides best practices on data access removal when an employee leaves or a contractor’s project completed. Tresorit Drive is a useful tool to implement some of these best practices and ensure compliance. Keeping all files in the cloud makes disabling access to them easier. As suggested in the standard, Tresorit provides further admin control tools for you in this process, such as password recovery and advanced device control.
- Let your team work the way they like. One of Tresorit’s main design principles is to keep the apps’ user interface close to the design of the operating system. However, I have often worked with professionals who were completely accustomed to managing files in their desktop file manager application such as Finder on Mac and File Manager on Windows. If your team is already used to working in their file manager, it might be more convenient for them to continue with the workflow they prefer. With Tresorit Drive, it is simple.
About the author
|Zoltan held various compliance assurance, information security, audit, and operation support positions at IBM before joining us as Information Security Officer. Now he is working on further improving our internal security policies as part of our ISO27001 certification process.|